Title Insurance Washington DC
Title Insurance - Coverage for Deeds, Wills & Trusts
This is a special insurance specifically for the home or building owner. In the case of a problem with the title on the property the title insurance will cover the costs of fixing the problem.
In some cases a lawyer will actually give you a lower price for legal services associated with closing a real estate deal if you buy title insurance.
So, why would you bother? Here's the kind of problem that title insurance addresses:
- Marital status of owner incorrectly given
- Deeds, wills, and trusts that contain improper vesting and incorrect names
- Transfer of property by a mental incompetent or minor
- Property line disagreement (i.e. a neighbour builds a fence over your property line)
- Confusion due to similar or identical names
- Outstanding mortgages, judgments, and tax liens
- Incorrect notary acknowledgments
- A forged deed that transfers no title to real estate
- Previously undisclosed heirs with claims against the property
- Instruments executed under expired or fabricated power of attorney
- Mistakes in the public records
Another war story: We purchased a brand new home from the builder. We decided to get title insurance even though we thought we'd never need. We actually got the title insurance because a lawyer guaranteed a lower closing cost with the purchase of title insurance. And sure enough - we had a problem with the public record. Now, our township cleared it up and we didn't have to pay anything, but this was a classic case where we could have had a problem. We are now very happy to have title insurance.
Read more general information about Home Insurance Policy , Condo Insurance and Renters Insurance . Read specifics about Structural Home Insurance , Home Content Insurance , Home liability insurance , Additional Liability Coverage , Title Insurance , Flood and Earthquake Insurance , and Living Expenses Home Insurance . Don't miss the sections about Home Insurance Savings , Types of Home Insurance P...