Articles Editor's Blog Reader Mail

Insuring the Not So Usual - Artwork/Antiques/Heirlooms/Collectibles South Burlington VT

Some insurance companies don't have much experience in the realm of art, antiques or collectibles. It may be worth finding an insurance broker who has some experience in this area.

Aig American General
(802) 860-9990
1233 Shelburne Rd Ste E5
South Burlington, VT
Business Resource Services
(802) 865-4560
620 Hinesburg Rd
South Burlington, VT
Cooper Insurance Services Ltd
(802) 658-0188
595 Dorset St
South Burlington, VT
Leary's Ins Agcy Inc
(802) 862-6594
337 Dorset St
South Burlington, VT
Allstate Insurance Companies
(802) 862-8620
205 Dorset St Ste 200
South Burlington, VT
Higgins Andrew Insurance Agency
(802) 860-1919
499 Golf Course Rd
South Burlington, VT
Horace Mann Insurance
(802) 860-6657
2071 Williston Rd
South Burlington, VT
Citro Agency
(802) 864-3939
20 Kimball Ave Ste 307
South Burlington, VT
Champlain Captive Management Inc
(802) 651-3304
140 Kennedy Dr
South Burlington, VT
State Farm Insurance
(802) 657-3500
150 Dorset St
South Burlington, VT

Insuring the Not So Usual - Artwork/Antiques/Heirlooms/Collectibles

Provided By: 

Insuring the Not So Usual

Do you own artwork? Do you have fine antiques? Family heirlooms? What about collectibles? You may find that your current insurance policy doesn't really allow for such unique and valuable items. In fact, you will likely need special riders that will provide you with additional insurance coverage. You'll also have to do that for each treasured item individually.

Why would insurance companies require these belongings to be inventoried and insured individually? In reality, it's because most insurance companies work in the realm of statistics. They deal on a daily basis with the average. That's why most companies take your word for it when you submit a list of belongings to them in your claim. Why? Because insurance companies have a good idea of what kinds of things are owned by the average middle class family. They may even provide you with a checklist, so that you can better provide them with an inventory of your belongings, because they know what to expect to find in each room of a house.

However, when you begin to get into collecting unusual items or very expensive items, your insurance company can no longer take your word for it. They will need these items individually inventoried, preferably independently appraised, and since these items will be outside of the realm of normal, they will sometimes need to be individually insured.

Can your current insurance company give you the insurance you need? This is an excellent question. Some insurance companies do not have much experience in the realm of art, antiques or collectibles. In this case, it may be worth your while to find an insurance broker who has some experience in this area. Such a person may be able to help you find the right insurance company. If you are collecting art, your favorite art magazines can be a good resource when looking for such service providers. You should look out for companies with an established reputation as well as a successful and dedicated claims department. That claims department will be very important to you, if you ever need to make a claim.

While individual insurance for your treasures may be required, if your artworks are individually worth less than $10,000 each, you can go for a blanket policy. Under such an arrangement, you will not have to list all the items involved. However, the most you can claim for any single artwork will be $10,000. So, you will have to keep in mind the value of your items.

And you need to be ready fo...

Click here to read the rest of this article from Insurance Guide 101

About Us | Contact Us | Link to Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Insurance Resources | Sitemap