Articles Editor's Blog Reader Mail

Home Owner Liabilities when Hiring Help Claymont DE

What about the teenager cutting your lawn? Do you need special insurance? In most cases, you won't. Check your policy that it contains limited coverage for minors performing lawn cutting or other small jobs on your property.

Dorsey James A Insurance Agency
(302) 472-3200
520 Philadelphia Pike
Wilmington, DE
Rick Broadbent Insurance Inc.
(302) 764-1566
500 Philadelphia Pike
Wilmington, DE
Allstate Insurance - The Bob Simpson Agency
(610) 494-1060
2211 Chichester Ave. Ste 101
Homeowners Insurance

F. T. Varone Inc.
(302) 475-6200
1403 Silverside Rd
Wilmington, DE
Nationwide Insurance Companys
(302) 791-7600
25 Prestbury Square
Wilmington, DE
Peninsula Excess Ins
(800) 990-9459
2036 Foulk Rd Ste 201
Wilmington, DE
Peninsula Excess Ins
(717) 533-5579
242 W Chocolate Ave
Wilmington, DE
Allstate Insurance Elaine R. Hallsted
(302) 475-7790
2205 Silverside Rd Ste 4
Wilmington, DE
Fiorelli Insurance Agency
(610) 485-2543
2618 Chichester Avenue
Homeowners Insurance

McAfee Insurance Agency
(610) 497-9492
3813 West 9th
Homeowners Insurance

Home Owner Liabilities when Hiring Help

Provided By: 

Home Owner Liabilities When Hiring Help

Do you hire the local teenager to cut your grass? Do you make use of a cleaning service? Perhaps you hire a landscaping company every year to keep your lawn and gardens in good shape. If you do, you could be setting yourself up for legal hassles, if you don't have the right insurance coverage. After an accident, you could be financially liable for an injury of any of these types of workers and your homeowner policy needs to cover you for that.

So, what do you need to do? First of all, determine if the person who is working in your home or on your property could be rightly considered an employee or a contractor. Generally, if you control how the work is done, the person is an employee. A nanny would be a great example. However, if the worker controls how the work is done, than this person is a contractor. Your lawn care guy or gal is likely a contractor.

These are highly simplified examples. If you have any question about whether someone is your employee or a contractor, you should consult with a tax professional. A tax professional will understand the differences and how they apply in your situation.

Now, if a person is rightly your employee, you'll have to check whether you need to carry workers compensation insurance coverage for them in your state. The rules vary on this. However, whether or not the state requires it, you may find it wise to get this coverage regardless. If your employee is injured, and you have worker compensation coverage, a claim would come under that policy. If you don't have the right coverage, the claim would fall on you directly. If this happens, your homeowner liability is not likely to pay benefit's. This is why worker compensation insurance is a good idea if you have employees and there is any chance they could be hurt on the job at your property.

When it comes to contractors, they should be covered by their own workers compensation insurance. As a result, any injury claims would be made under their own policy. However, if they have let their coverage lapse for any reason, you could then be held liable. Even though you might be able to sue the contractor for your losses, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you are hiring a contractor, ask for written proof of the following:

  • Contractors license
  • Workers compensation insurance
  • General liability insurance
  • Proof of coverage for any subcontractors working on your propert

Now, what about the teena...

Click here to read the rest of this article from Insurance Guide 101

Local Events

Philadelphia Flower Show 2018
Dates: 3/4/2018 – 3/11/2018
Pennsylvania Convention Center Philadelphia
View Details
About Us | Contact Us | Link to Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Insurance Resources | Sitemap